Cart empty

Find Us Elsewhere

SSL

Forum Search

Keyword

Trim or Limit the characters in Title Attribute in Google Shopping Feed

2 weeks 5 days ago #4070 by jbbuie
Hi,

I encountered an error in GMC when I uploaded a Product Feed using GooglebaseXML to export (screenshot attached). My question is how can I limit or trim the characters in title attribute? Is there any options in googlebaseXML?

I check the format for title here: support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324...en&ref_topic=6324338 and it only accepts up to 150 characters.

More Information:
Joomla Version: 3.6.5
GooglebaseXML Version: 4.6.22
Virtuemart Version: 3.0.10

Thanks,
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 15 hours ago #4071 by boggler
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will include some code to truncate the title to 150 in the next release.

In the meantime you could create a product override for these products, with a shorter title. Or if you update to the latest version 4.6.24 of GooglebaseXML then this allows you to use the Virtuemart custom page title instead of the product title, which you can make shorter.

Or just have shorter product titles, that seems to me to be a better solution really. I mean we will add the code to truncate them for the feed, but then that leaves you with a title that is obviously truncated, if you shorten them yourselves then you can make sure that the title is well formed.

Perhaps some of the information in the long titles could be moved to the product description instead? I can see that they are very technical products, so you need to be precise, but I think that you need think about what information your customer needs to immediately see in order to know at a glance that this is what they are interested in. I am thinking that maybe the information in brackets does not need to be in the title, but in the description.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds