4FootyFans created the topic: Googlebase Multi-language sub-domains
Hello

We have setup our store for multi-language using sub-domains

e.g.

Base store www.4footyfans.com

German de.4footyfans.com

Sweden se.4footyfans.com

etc etc

In spite of configuring the language feeds with the correct sub-domains, the feed url still displays with the base url.

I saw a note about possible errors due to the Joomla router and the use of sub-domains, but is there any workaround?

e.g.

www.4footyfans.com/index.php?option=com_...xml&id;=24⟨=de-DE

Instead of:

de.4footyfans.com/index.php?option=com_g...xml&id;=24⟨=de-DE

If I change 'www' to 'de' and try to run it, a 404 error is returned.

If I remove '⟨=de-DE', it makes no difference.

Best

Eddie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3812 by boggler
boggler replied the topic: Googlebase Multi-language sub-domains
Which versions of Joomla, Virtuemart and GooglebaseXML are you using?

Could you explain a bit more about

We have setup our store for multi-language using sub-domains

How have you done this exactly?

The feed should be able to handle multi-language sites using the Joomla standard language manager and the Virtuemart support for multi-language stores, if you have done something different it should be possible to add some custom code to support this.

• 4FootyFans
  • 4FootyFans's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3813 by 4FootyFans
4FootyFans replied the topic: Googlebase Multi-language sub-domains
Hi

Sorry, yes, here's the installed versions:

Joomla: 3.6.5
Virtuemart: 3.0.18
GoogleBase: 4.6.20

Multi-language setup is by sub-domains not sub-directories.

So:
de.4footyfans.com
dk.4footyfans.com
es.4footyfans.com
+ 7 others

We are using GTranslate for the translations so the dns of the sub-domains is pointing to them.

The languages are all installed on the Joomla side and also VM.

However, on the VM side, the tables other than 'en' are yet to be populated.

The other thing I am trying to achieve is the automatic switching of currency based upon the the browser ip address of the visitor.

I have a plugin that's supposed to do that but can't get it to work.

Anything I've left out?

Best

Eddie

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #3814 by boggler
OK, that makes things a little clearer. It seems to me that it really should not matter that the feed url is

https://www.4footyfans.com/index.php?option=com_googlebasexml&format;=xml&id;=24⟨=de-DE

there is really no advantage in having an url such as

https://de.4footyfans.com/index.php?option=com_googlebasexml&format;=xml&id;=24⟨=de-DE

The feed should take all its information about what currency and language to use for the display from its options. We only added the lang parameter to the url just to avoid occasional issues with the Joomla router, although normally it is not necessary.

Your real issue is that the links in the feed don't seem to be directing properly to the product page. The feed correctly seems to detect the subdomain, so you get links like this:-

https://de.4footyfans.com/store/keyrings-keys/fantastic-beasts-keyring-macusa.htm?virtuemart_currency_id=47

which just directs to a page saying that the product can't be found.

What should the correct url for this product be? It seems to me it is just a matter of finding a way to adjust the product link. How are the categories and product aliases translated, it seems to be there that the problem lies, because the product link at the moment uses the english category and product alias.

We can work on this for you, but I think it would need to be done as a custom programming job.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by boggler.

• 4FootyFans
  • Senior Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3815 by 4FootyFans
Hi

The correct url for this product is:

de.4footyfans.com/store/keyrings-keys/fa...easts-keyring-macusa

The problem then is that the product opens properly but the currency is GBP instead of EUR

Best

Eddie

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #3816 by boggler
You need to have the currency id included in the url, because it is the way to make sure that the correct currency is loaded. Normally when the customer picks a currency that is stored in a session variable, but you can't do that with the feed url because there is no session for feed links. So it is added to the url instead, it's fine, as long as it loads the product page correctly with the right language and currency there is no problem.

In fact the correct url for the product should be

https://de.4footyfans.com/store/keyrings-keys/fantastic-beasts-keyring-macusa?virtuemart_currency_id=47

You will see that satisfies all the requirements. Where the feed url is going wrong actually is just adding the extension .htm to the product page link, that is the only difference between this url and the incorrect one above. I am not sure where that is coming from. The feed just uses the Joomla JRoute method to find the SEF url, so I would check your Joomla configuration to make sure that it is not adding in the extension. Also check any SEF extension you are using.

Or it may be an url caching problem, if you have recently changed from urls with a ,htm extension to one with. In that case clear the product urls from the cache.

If that is not the issue then it should be a small matter to tweak the code slightly to make sure that the extension is not added, I will be happy to do that for you.

But apart from that actually it seems to be working correctly. If you really don't like having the currency id in the product urls then you could have a plugin on your site that maps the language to a currency where there is no currency set, but that seems to me to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by boggler.

• 4FootyFans
  • Senior Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3817 by 4FootyFans
Hi

Yes, I agree re the correct url format.

The ".htm" extension was to replace the VM SEO "-details"

I have now cleared ".htm" so it is just the category name/product which appears.

The point of the country sub-domains is to make them easier to find in the respective countries.

So, a level down form buying tlds.

The object is fulfilled on our site except for the auto-switching of currency based upon the visitor's ip address.

At this point, I've lost track of what the actual problem was!

I'll set up a series of feeds and see how they output.

Best

Eddie

• 4FootyFans
  • Senior Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #3821 by 4FootyFans
Hi

The feeds are now producing well except for an issue that I have found today.

I recently configured some parent products with 2 child products each. The parent is not published, the child products are.

Here is an example of the output in the base currency GBP (gb) and Euro (Pt):

UK:
www.4footyfans.com/store/executive-gifts...emart_currency_id=52

PT:
pt.4footyfans.com/store/executive-gifts/...emart_currency_id=47

The slug for the Portuguese sub-domain is output as a date/time i.e. a non-existent product and which is thrown out by Google.

The same applies to the 9 other sub-domains for the same products.

Is there a limit to the number of characters the slug can be, because there are many other similar child products which are output correctly?

Any clues?

Best

Eddie

More
4 months 1 week ago #3822 by boggler
It sounds like a bug with an sef extension to me. I don't think there are any limits on the size of the slug.

As you say that many other child products are being linked to correctly it doesn't sound like a general issue that needs to be fixed, but an issue with those particular products.

Maybe try setting the alias for those products yourself.

I would check if the urls for those particular products is being cached as the incorrect value, if so delete those cache entries if you can.

If all else fails you could try using the Joomla redirect component to redirect the links to the correct url.

• 4FootyFans
  • Senior Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #3824 by 4FootyFans
Hi

There are no sef extensions installed and the product urls are fine.

Specifically, the issue applies only to the new child products, in the language sub-domains and the GoogleBase output.

Using the previous example, here's the product url in the Portuguese sub-domain:

pt.4footyfans.com/store/executive-gifts/...emart_currency_id=47

That's how the item should be output in the xml output but it is the same issue in each of the sub-domains

We produce language/currency sitemaps and the same products in the xml output have the same issue.

If I change the format to txt, the products output correctly.

Best

More
4 months 1 week ago #3825 by boggler
Sorry, I just don't know the answer at the moment.

I notice that the time for the defective url you mention is 2017-02-26-12-50-04-700. Was this when the product was created? Does this happen for all new products?

You say the same incorrect urls appear in your xml sitemap?

Do the child products have the same name? It is often the practise where two things have the same alias to make it unique by attaching the date and time, and something is trying to do this, possibly Virtuemart. If so the solution may be to make the names distinct. Just a guess.

Possibly this is a Joomla caching issue? I suggest clearing all caches that you can, Joomla and Virtuemart

• 4FootyFans
  • Senior Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #3826 by 4FootyFans
Hi

Thanks, anyway.

The child products do not have the same name, slug or sku; it is only the multi-language output that is an issue; the base currency output is fine.

Also, it is not the date/time being appended to the slug, it is the date/time replacing the slug.

The txt output is correct for all languages.

All caches cleared.

The issue is XML, child products and multi-language (using sub-domains).

Best

Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds