Product Snapshot Pro: layouts not working

• phoenix710
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #4073 by phoenix710
Product Snapshot Pro: layouts not working was created by phoenix710
Per the docs (and as a test), I copied default.php, lightbox_gallery.php, slideshow.php, small_thumbnails.php and thumbnails.php to my httpdocs/templates/<mytemplate>/html folder. The intention was to observe how each formatted the product, then modify one of them as needed.

Before any mods, I tried each one of the "layout=default;", "layout=thumbnails;", "layout=small_thumbnails;", "layout=lightbox_gallery;", and "layout=slideshow;" options, such as the example below:

{product id=1; showPrice=1; showAddToCart=1; showQuantityControls=1; imageWidth=240; imageHeight=135; layout=slideshow;}

The showPrice, showAddToCart, showQuantityControls, imageWidth and imageHeight options work as expected. No change was observed when changing the options for "layout".

I searched the forum, but was very surprised to find no mention of "layout".

What is wrong, and how do I get this working?

[Also, I could find no way to search within a specific forum. I also noticed that unless the browser is made very wide, your main menu tends to run down the right 1/3 of the page and cover up whatever was rendered first. I found your site very difficult to navigate and use.]

Edit after initial post:

I performed three experiments:

1. I edited the default.php copy in the httpdocs/templates/<mytemplate>/html folder, then ensured the "layout=default;" was specified. (I removed the image and caption.) There was no change in the rendering.

2. I then found the source default.php: /httpdocs/plugins/content/vm2productsnapshotpro/vm2productsnapshotpro/tmpl. I then edited it to remove the image and caption; both disappeared as expected when the page was refreshed.

3. Now that I saw that the default.php file was being used, I then changed my article to "layout=slideshow;". [Note that slideshow.php was NOT changed; it was still the original PHP that was installed with the plugin.] The image and caption were still gone when the page was refreshed.

These tests appear to indicate that the "layout=xxx;" option is NOT processed. Rather, default.php appears to be used regardless of the "layout=xxx;" option.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by phoenix710. Reason: Additional tests

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #4075 by boggler
Replied by boggler on topic Product Snapshot Pro: layouts not working

Per the docs (and as a test), I copied default.php, lightbox_gallery.php, slideshow.php, small_thumbnails.php and thumbnails.php to my httpdocs/templates/<mytemplate>/html folder. The intention was to observe how each formatted the product, then modify one of them as needed.

Before any mods, I tried each one of the "layout=default;", "layout=thumbnails;", "layout=small_thumbnails;", "layout=lightbox_gallery;", and "layout=slideshow;" options, such as the example below:

{product id=1; showPrice=1; showAddToCart=1; showQuantityControls=1; imageWidth=240; imageHeight=135; layout=slideshow;}

The showPrice, showAddToCart, showQuantityControls, imageWidth and imageHeight options work as expected. No change was observed when changing the options for "layout".

The layouts need to be put in the folder 'templates/<your_template>/html/vm2snapshotpro/', I am sorry that was not made clear in the documentation, I have amended that.

Most people just put their own extra layouts in the plugin/tmpl folder, and that definitely works. I have checked.

[Also, I could find no way to search within a specific forum. I also noticed that unless the browser is made very wide, your main menu tends to run down the right 1/3 of the page and cover up whatever was rendered first. I found your site very difficult to navigate and use.]

You can search within a specific forum, there is an advanced search option, which you will see if you make and initial search.

Yes I note the problem with the menu.

As for my site being "very difficult to navigate and use", since that is a very vague and unhelpful criticisim and frankly just a bit rude I will simply ignore it.

Now that I saw that the default.php file was being used, I then changed my article to "layout=slideshow;". [Note that slideshow.php was NOT changed; it was still the original PHP that was installed with the plugin.] The image and caption were still gone when the page was refreshed.

These tests appear to indicate that the "layout=xxx;" option is NOT processed. Rather, default.php appears to be used regardless of the "layout=xxx;" option.

No that is not the case. If you use the layouts in the plugin tmpl folder then the layout option is definitely used. I just tested to double check. There is a mistake somewhere in your test.

You should note that if you only have one image for a product then there is not much difference in the look of the layouts, there is not much point in make a slideshow with only one image.

Also I have spotted that there may be a javascript bug with the slideshow (depending on the template) which we will be looking into and making a fix for. If you find it is not displaying properly then this is the explanation. The other layouts are fine though, and actually the slideshow normally works as on our demo
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by boggler.

More
1 year 2 months ago #4077 by boggler
There is a problem with your email, all the system emails (eg your invoice) sent to your email address *****@siliconhacker.com have been returned with the delivery failure. The error message is
Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;*******@siliconhacker.com
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.hover.com.cust.hostedemail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 <******[email protected]>: Relay access denied

Seems like a problem with your smtp server.

• phoenix710
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 1 month ago #4080 by phoenix710
Replied by phoenix710 on topic Product Snapshot Pro: layouts not working
Well, that explains why I didn't see a notification email when you replied. I have no idea what happened, it was working (though I don't receive much email on that account). I'll look into it now.

In the meantime, I appreciate your persistence; we'll have to use this as the chat then, I guess...

But, back to this issue: I tried placing a modified default.php in the place you specified:
"The layouts need to be put in the folder 'templates/<your_template>/html/vm2snapshotpro/'"

There was no vm2snapshotpro folder, so I created one, then place a modified default.php in it. The rendering was still from the original default.php. I then tried a modified default.php in the (new) folder above; it did not work.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, then validated that default.php rendered. I then tried a modified default2.php (basically, a modified default.php) in the original /tmpl folder, then used:
layout=default2;

This didn't work either.

I've only been able to see customization if I edit the source file in the /tmpl folder directly. I'd rather not do this if an extension or customization methodology exists.

Any suggestions?

More
1 year 1 month ago #4082 by boggler
You don't need to edit the source file directly, you can create a copy of the default layout for example, just change it to default2.php, and edit that. Because it is in the same folder it can be picked up by the plugin if you set this as the layout. And because it does not already exist it will not be overwritten if the plugin is updated.

But also the template overriding does work, I tested it. The folder should be called 'vm2productsnapshotpro', I think that is probably why it is not working for you.

Incidentally we did make a new release version 2.1.5, which you can download using your existing download link. It fixes the issue with the slideshow that I mentioned, also adds support for the Joomla updater.

Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds

Donate to Us

If you like our extensions, consider making a donation to say thanks.