Shopping Basket

x 

Cart empty

Find Us Elsewhere

SSL

Forum Search

Keyword

Are there any tricks to narrow the search returns from Amazon by boolean logic?

• scarney
  • scarney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 week 2 days ago #4030 by scarney
scarney created the topic: Are there any tricks to narrow the search returns from Amazon by boolean logic?
I am using the AmazonWS » Product Search to put in queries and have found that there is some narrowing down of the queries using quotation marks that does not work in the "Set Search Keywords *" field.

For example. At Amazon.com and can put in the two following strings with slightly different results. One of which is better than the other:

1) Jeff Novick
The results are pretty good although a couple items affiliated with Jeff Novick do not appear. And, there is an item by a totally unrelated person who has a last name of Novick but is NOT the right person.

2) "Jeff Novick"
By wrapping my search in quotes on Amazon.com I am able to refine the search and the results add a couple more relevant items and removes the non-relevant items.

When I put quotes marks into the Set Search Keywords * field the search fails. Is there something I can do the somehow make the quote marks work in that field? I know we could get better results.

Are you also aware of any page where Amazon explains their search options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 10 hours ago #4034 by boggler
boggler replied the topic: Are there any tricks to narrow the search returns from Amazon by boolean logic?
The Amazon product advertising API does not support the use of special characters in normal search keywords, such as wildcards, quotes etc, I think for reasons of efficiency.

If you want to narrow down your search then there are some other ways of doing this, for example by using browse nodes, search index, minimum or maximum price. Also by ordering, the default ordering for results is "relevance" but there are others available.

There is a summary here of the ones that the plugin supports: https://www.spiralscripts.co.uk/FAQ/summary-of-amazon-plugin-shortcode-parameters.html

There are quite a few more that are available from the API but which the plugin does not currently support, really to avoid code bloat, although in principle it would be possible to do so. There is a summary here of the refinements that Amazon have available: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/ItemSearch.html

Something that you might find interesting is the "Power Search" http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/PowerSearchSyntax.html which seems to be similar to what you are asking for. The plugin does not currently support this, but I do not see any reason why it could not in future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarney

• scarney
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 week 9 hours ago #4038 by scarney
scarney replied the topic: Are there any tricks to narrow the search returns from Amazon by boolean logic?
Thank you for all of that. Gives me some good homework to do. :-) And, I am sure that your software will continue to get better and better.

• scarney
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 days 20 hours ago #4046 by scarney
scarney replied the topic: Are there any tricks to narrow the search returns from Amazon by boolean logic?
The "Power Search" options look very powerful and do look like they would improve the search results. I do think adding that to your software seems like a really great idea.

More
4 days 10 hours ago #4052 by boggler
boggler replied the topic: Are there any tricks to narrow the search returns from Amazon by boolean logic?
Yes we will definitely be doing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarney

Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds