• Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #8106 by danjde
Imgen preinstallation questions was created by danjde
Hi Developers, and thanks for Imgen!

I've this necessity:

on my site, open to all for many kind of content, it is often difficult to check if the loaded graphic files have been compressed and resized well, so a smart plugin as your could be very useful!

But I need to know some more details before to install:

I've installed " EventBooking " where the users can upload events with images.
Then I've installed K2, where the users can upload contents with images.
And finally, they can upload normal Joomla content, with images.

For EventBooking and Joomla content I've set a specific images size, for K2 another images size.

Is it possible using Imgen, to set different image (re)size for each components?

Many thanks!

Davide

PS
your post preview, not seems to work :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #8109 by boggler
Replied by boggler on topic Imgen preinstallation questions
You would need to edit the templates where the image is displayed, change the image source to use imgen. You can set the image size as part of the URL.

This is all explained in the documentation: https://www.spiralscripts.co.uk/support/documentation/imgen-image-generator-documentation.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: danjde

• danjde
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #8116 by danjde
Replied by danjde on topic Imgen preinstallation questions

You would need to edit the templates where the image is displayed,

Well! If I understand well in the case, for example of Event Booking (event manager) I do not have to enter the code in the upload form template, but on the content page template?

And in the case of modules or plugin how should I proceed?
For example I've a module that display event booking and Joomla content and a plugin that permit to display event booking content as normal joomla content page.

Thanks again for the time you are dedicating to me!

Davide

More
2 months 1 week ago #8119 by boggler

Well! If I understand well in the case, for example of Event Booking (event manager) I do not have to enter the code in the upload form template, but on the content page template?

Yes exactly.

In the case of modules and plugins that display images then you would need to do the same, edit their templates.

It is quite simple to do if you are OK with editing some basic PHP and html.

• danjde
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 5 days ago #8126 by danjde
Hi @boggler and thanks again for all these informations!

Another question if possible, that I do not understand from the documentation and that I hope will be useful for your visitors and users.

When your extension compress and resize the image, resize the original images or does it create a resized copy in a specific folder?

I've been saying this for more than one reason.
One is understanding what happens if a user loads a large image. If this image continues to occupy space on the server or if it is possible in some way to remove it.

Because one of my concerns is also to make sure that the server does not saturate the available space.

And on case that plugins, modules and components, your extension was active for, all of these extensions "are fishing" the same resized files?

many many many many thanks again!!! ..and many again!! :-)

Davide

More
2 months 3 days ago #8127 by boggler
The extension creates resized copies of the images, so it only has to do the resizing once. Once the resized version exists the extension just serves the resized file.

But note that if you are using different sized images for different purposes then there will be an image copy for each size.

The extension does not delete the original images. Because the resized images are only created when they are viewed for the first time there could be a problem if the original image was removed before the resized images are created.

So you would need to manage the original images yourself, maybe go through them once in a while to remove old ones. Or you could probably write a simple cron job to do this.

• danjde
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 3 days ago #8128 by danjde
Well!
I've installed Imgen!
In the next days I will try to set up it into my different template extensions.

I've seen that Imgen have on setting tab the "Default Source Images Folder".
What does it mean? I've for example extensions that store images on "images/" but also on different folders (as for Booking Event).
Imgen works if the images are stored on different paths?

And the last question: server side are required specific executables (like imagemagick)?

thank you again, for your kind availability!

Davide

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #8132 by boggler
Sorry for the slow response.

If you use 'images/" for the default folder then Imgen expects any source images to be located in that folder or a subdirectory. It should be fine if different extensions use different subdirectories, eg

images/bookings/

so long as the parent directory is images/

If the parent directory is a different one for some extensions eg uploads/ then that might cause an issue, in that case I think that your only choice would be to set the default folder to the Joomla root folder, ie

/

That is not great, the point of the default folder is to prevent any attempts at file snooping by restricting operations to the images folder.

No the extension just uses the PHP gd graphics library, it is crude but effective in this case.

Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate to Us

If you like our extensions, consider making a donation to say thanks.