If you are a Joomla! developer you are probably already aware that you are not restricted to generating html output from an extension. In fact it is possible for the CMS to output any type of content that you want, simply by creating a view for it in your component using the appropriate format.
The purpose of this article is to explore how to do this when the output type is not among those currently supported in the Joomla core. In fact this is not a problem, as I will show. I will do this in the context of generating an SVG (scalable vector graphics) image, but the principles will be the same for any output type.
In the examples I assume that we have already grabbed the image data in some way, without specifying where it comes from, in order to concentrate on how to output it. However the nice thing about SVG is that it is just XML, so it could quite easily be generated dynamically by the CMS using data from a database table.Add a comment
If you are a Joomla! developer you are probably already aware that it is possible for the CMS to output many other types of content in addition to the usual html. In fact you can use it to output any type of content that you want, simply by creating a view for it in your component using the appropriate format.
Creating a General XML Feed
In this article I will look at how to use your component to output an XML feed. There is actually more than one approach to this: if you want to create an RSS feed, which is a specific type of XML feed, then you can use the RSS document type - I will discuss this below.
Firstly I will discuss creating a more general type of XML feed, which I will do in the context of a reasonably realistic example. We will suppose that you are developing a Joomla e-commerce component that has a view that displays your products. In addition to the normal HTML output you would like to be able to display an XML feed of the products. It is actually not that hard.Add a comment
We are pleased to release a new extension. GProduct Review Feed makes it easy to submit your Virtuemart product reviews to Google shopping, you can do it in a matter of minutes. It's a great way to enhance your product listings.
GProduct Review Feed can be used to create either a full review feed, or an incremental feed. As well as automatically creating your feed, the extension allows you to mark reviews as spam, or deleted.
- You can read more about submitting a review feed to Google here;
- See a tutorial, with screenshots of the feed administration here;
- View an example feed here;
- Buy the extension here.
Virtuemart is a popular open source e-commerce extension for the Joomla! content management system. We have a number of extensions written explicitly for Virtuemart that will enhance your store:-
- VM2 Product Snapshot allows you to embed Virtuemart product information in Joomla content articles. As a content plugin it is compatible with the Joomla core content component as well as extension that support content plugins, such as K2.
- HTML5 Slideshow for Virtuemart 2 displays your product images in an attractive HTML5 slideshow. It is compatible with all modern browsers including mobile devices and will display a simplified version in older browsers such as IE7. It is a great way to show off your products without using Flash.
- Virtuemart Featured Product Grid is an alternative to the Virtuemart featured products module. It can be used to show featured products, top ten products, recent products, and random products from some or all categories. The module is particularly useful when you want to display additional images for your products, as these are shown in a scroller.
- VM ModController Pro This module allows you to control the display of other Joomla modules on Virtuemart pages. It allows you to assign modules to Virtuemart pages (including specific product details flypages or category browse pages), categories, and shopper groups.
- GoogleBaseXML This component for the Joomla Content Management System generates a product data feed for your Virtuemart store in XML format. It is specifically designed to be compatible with the format required by Google shopping. The product listing can be manually uploaded, or submitted as an URL to Google Merchant Center for scheduled upload
You can view examples of these extensions in our Virtuemart Extensions Demo Store.
Below: A screenshot of our HTML5 slideshow for Virtuemart
Add a comment